If you’re moving to Madrid with your pets, you’ve got more to think about than just yourself. Here are our top 10 tips to help you find the perfect home in Madrid for you and your furry friends.
1. Location, location, location… As cliché as it sounds, location is going to be extremely important, especially if you’ve got a dog. If you’re planning on living in the city, your pooch is going to need somewhere to stretch his legs. Our favourite location for walkies in the city, has to be The Retiro. It’s got acres and acres of beautiful walks, and a huge enclosed canine area where you dog can socialise, run and play off-leash to his heart’s content. It’s even got an agility course for the brave-at-heart! The park along the River Manzanares is another excellent spot that is frequently used by runners and their dogs. The Casa de Campo is another huge park that could visit daily, and never have to walk the same route twice.
2. Take your time… Finding accommodation with a pet can be a little more difficult. Give yourself at least 6-8 weeks to find the perfect pad.
3. Cash is king… If you see an apartment that you love, but they’re not quite convinced about allowing a pet, try offering them an extra “pet deposit” to cover any damages that may occur.
4. If you don’t ask, you won’t get… A lot of the house-hunting sites don’t allow you to search for pet-friendly apartments. If you see somewhere that you like, drop the landlord a friendly email and explain your situation. The worst they can say is no.
5. References available upon request… If you’ve previously rented with your pet, see if a past landlord will provide you with a positive reference. You could also ask your vet for a letter of clean health, and a behavioural description. If your pet has taken obedience classes, make sure to keep a record of them also.
6. All by myself… If you work all day, consider the time that your pet has to stay on their own. If you wouldn’t like to spend all day in studio apartment with no window, chances are, your pets won’t want to either. Try to find an apartment with some outdoor space, even if it’s just a little terrace. Your pet will thank you for it by not destroying the house while you’re gone.
7. Safety first… Since Madrid is such a vertical city, cats will love the bird’s-eye views. However, it’s easy for accidents to happen. Make sure curiosity doesn’t kill the cat, by kitty-proofing your windows and balconies. It’s easy to get your hands on cat safety nets. All you need is a few cable ties, and voila! They’ve got a purrfect view, without the risk.
8. Tell the truth… Trying to hide a pet is harder than it seems. If the landlord needs to pop over for anything, or the neighbours catch you, you could be in real trouble. Be honest and upfront, tell them you have a pet, and get whatever you can in writing.
9. Get in the zone… Madrid is a wonderfully pet-friendly city. Dogs are allowed in many of the bars, restaurants and shops. Sr. Perro is a wonderful resource for any dog-owner whose dog goes with them everywhere. On their website, you can find all of the pet-friendly sites in your area. Keep an eye out around the city and you might just get lucky enough to meet this celebrity pooch. Every Sr. Perro-approved spot has a sticker on the door saying, “Perros Buenos, Bienvenidos.”
10. Finally… if in doubt, contact a professional… If you’re unsure about moving to Madrid with Fido or Puss, get in touch with us and we’ll do everything we can to make sure that your move is a smooth one. Just pop us an email and we’ll sort you out.