Madrid Week-end Trip for Gastronomy and History: Ävila and Salamanca
For all of you who are thinking of enjoying a week-end trip somewhere nice and close to Madrid, I recommend going to Ávila and Salamanca. Courtney did a post about Salamanca with good tips to prepare you trip, so I will focus on how you could organize a great week-end trip in Ávila and Salamanca with lots of photos.
Ávila and Salamanca are two medieval towns west of Madrid. You can reach both by bus, car or train. I recommend going by car if you have 3 days and thus could go and visit at the same time the quaint villages of “la Sierra de Gredos”.
In a nutshell, here’s the program I recommend for a weekend.
Saturday – Avila and Arrival at Salamanca:
- Rent a car, take the train or the bus and go to Ávila to arrive there before lunch, or “la Comida”. Ávila is fortress city known for its amazing meat: the “Chuletón de Ávila”, or “T-Bone steak of Ávila”.
- Lunch: I recommend El Torreón, C/ TOSTADO, 1, 05001, Ávila, 920 21 31 71 . Do order the “Chuletón de Ávila” and the typical “Patatas Revolconas”.
- To help the lunch go down, go round the town and up Avíla walls
- Wait for the sun to set, and see the amazing walls by night, when they are much more impressive. I do think also that a medieval town has to be seen also at night, since the atmosphere is then so different.
- Head towards Salamanca for a late diner or tapas on the Plaza Mayor, with a few tapas and ham at any packed bar you see, or I recommend the “Café Real” for their “pinchos morunos”.
- Feel the party atmosphere of this town ful of university students.
Sunday: Tour Salamanca
- Tour the town, following a route which whill go through at least the University, the old and new cathedral (do take the “Ieronomous” path which will take you up both catedrals for a splendid view, the Plaza Mayor, las “Conchas”. For more details, see Courtney’s post
- Pause and/or lunch with a “cañas” and ham (speciality of the Salamanca region)
If you have more time, there are charming little villages and trekking to do around in the Gredos mountains.
If you need our help to make your move to Madrid zen, send us an email !