How to Get Access to Health Care in Madrid

Before moving to Madrid, you should make sure you will have access to healthcare and health insurance right after your relocation to Spain.

I will get to the point and not only present the healthcare system in Madrid, but above all, give you step by step what you need to do to obtain access to healthcare in Madrid according to your specific case.

Madrid healthcare system is one of the best in the World

  • Spain’s health care system is ranked 7th best in the world by the World Health Organization (see complete ranking).
  • Madrid is the capital city and region, and the regional government has made investments in the health system one of its priorities in the last 20 years. The regional aspect is important since Spain has a regional administration system, and health are under the regions’ authority.

How do you gain access to Madrid health system ?

There are 2 cases:

  1. You are an employee, self-employed or retiree, and pay social security taxes in Spain. You are then entitled to healthcare like any other Spaniard from day 1, with your “Tarjeta Sanitaria” (photo on the right) – see my post on how to get this health card (tarjeta sanitaria) in Madrid
  2. You never have and never will pay social security taxes in Spain, because you are a student, retired or trailing partner, in holidays or sabbatical. 2 options in this case:
  • You are a EU citizen and as such are entitled to get access to Madrid Healthcare for emergency reasons, thanks to the European Health Insurance (EHIC) card, but not for “normal” or “routine” treatments (no MD only hospitals).
  • You are not a EU citizen, and you are only allowed in Hospitals for emergencies and will be required to pay. I would then recommend you pay for a private health insurance – read my post on the best private health insurance for most expats in Spain.

According to your specific situation, you now know how you get access to healthcare in Madrid. Follow the links to the specific posts to get more details or just

send us an email if you want us to help you move to Madrid zen.

Madridly yours,
Pierre – Moving2Madrid.comGoogle+Twitter

Spread the Word:Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInEmail this to someone

This post is also available in: French

Posted on 7 January, 2016 by Pierre-Alban Waters in Rent - Paperwork - Paperwork - Buy, New ? Start Here


4 responses to “How to Get Access to Health Care in Madrid”

  1. […] sociale (leggi il mio post su come ottenere questo numero fondamentale). E verifica se hai il diritto alla sanità pubblica in Spagna. In poche parole, se non stai pagando nulla in Europa, non avrai il diritto a nulla. Ricevi quello […]

  2. […] For more details, read my article about getting access to healthcare in Madrid. […]

  3. […] Se sei residente fiscale in Spagna, impiegato o libero professionista, dovrai pagare una tassa per il sistema previdenziale. Un impiegato pagherà intorno al 6-8%: questa tassa include i servizi sanitari, di pensionamento e disoccupazione. Un libero professionista pagherà intorno ai 300 € al mese, tu decidi quanto pagare in base a quanto guadagni al mese. Avrai gli stessi diritti di un impiegato: pensione, sanità pubblica e anche disoccupazione. Senza entrare nel dettaglio, stai attento che ci sono molte più restrizioni per un libero professionista. Ci sono i minimi e i massimi, ciò significa che se le tue entrate base sono di oltre 60.000 €, la percentuale aumenterà considerevolmente. Per ulteriori informazioni leggi il nostro articolo su come accedere alla sanità pubblica a Madrid. […]

  4. […] do not have a social security number, read my post about how to get this essential number. And also check if in fact you have the right to health care in Spain. In a nutshell, if you don’t pay for anything in Europe, if you don’t pay any kind of […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *